Medical Humanities Consortium 10th Annual Meeting
Under Construction: Hospitals, Healthcare, and the
May 15-16, 2012
Conference Program now available
Read now >
Conference Schedule in Brief:
Tuesday, May 15 -5:00 p.m.
- Opening reception and brief overview of the aesthetic and architectural features of the new Children's of Pittsburgh (CHP).
- Guided tours of the newly constructed space
Wednesday, May 16 the conference will continue from 8:00 a.m. - 5:00p.m.
The program will feature:
- Panel discussion of the architectural design, art, and sensory features of the new CHP
- Three concurrent sessions with topics ranging from the historical designs of clinical space and patient roles, to medical humanities curriculum, literature in medicine, art in clinical spaces, and the impact of physical space on patient care
- The musical storytelling piece, Talking You In, recounting a father's experience with his newborn in the ICU, written and performed by Dan Yashinsky with Canadian musical artist Brian Katz
Free Event Parking
Parking for the event will be available in the CHP North Garage, a staff garage. There are entrances to the garage on 44th Street (past the Ronald McDonald House and the Rangos Research Building) and on 45th Street (past the main hospital entrance and the mid-campus garage). Conference participants must use the intercom to identify themselves by name and specify attendance at the "MHC conference" to gain admission for free parking. The North Garage elevator goes straight to the Conference Center on the 7th floor.
Transportation from Pittsburgh International Airport
Super Shuttle (800-258-3826) costs approximately $33. A taxi costs $50-$60. Both are available from Ground Transportation at the airport.
Rooms at a discounted rate are available at the Courtyard by Marriott Shadyside, 5308 Liberty Avenue, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15224 (1-412-683-3113) for out of town attendees. Identify yourself as a member of the Medical Humanities 10th Annual Meeting group when making your reservation to secure the discounted rate ($139/night, plus tax). A limited number of rooms at this rate will be held until April 17, so early reservation is recommended. Hotel valet parking is available ($17.88/day). A free hotel shuttle will take participants to the Children's Hospital Conference Center.
For Marriott hotel reservations, call 1-800-321-2211.